Here are some simple ideas to help you have a Minimalist Christmas, without having to declutter your home a week later.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This year will be our second year of celebrating Christmas with a minimalist mindset. A Minimalist Christmas is a means of simplifying, by shifting our mindset to a bigger picture. Taking the emphasis from buying toys and stuff that fills our homes, to the True Meaning.
The unfortunate thing about America, is that we are very consumer minded. Therefore, we want to buy everything in the magazines, ads on social media, commercials on TV. The idea of buy, buy, buy, is in our face everywhere. Unfortunately for many, the idea of having a Minimalist Christmas seems pretty ridiculous. As well as, why would anyone want to deprive their children of toys and the entire experience of opening a ton of presents Christmas morning?
Let me ask you this… Why do you think you will be depriving your children of toys? Are they in need of toys? Do they not already own toys? Are you tripping over toys throughout your home, that they get out and leave for you to clean up?
By making this decision for our family, we have easily cut back on spending as well as filling our home with extra stuff. Which brings me to another point I want to bring up: open ended toys/multipurpose toys. I have found that having these types of toys in our home, has made it extremely easy to keep the toy clutter to a minimum. Studies have actually shown that children who own less toys, actually play longer.
So today I want to share with you a small Minimalist Christmas Gift Guide, to give you some ideas on open ended, multi-purpose toy options for your little ones.
Minimalist Christmas Gift Guide
- Melissa & Doug Wooden Doll House | This is such a great gift idea for little girls who love to play house, or love to play with dolls. So much imaginative play comes with any dollhouse.
- Play Kitchen Pots & Pans Set | I actually purchased a pots and pan set for my toddler son, Noble. He loves to pretend he’s stirring or tasting food from things in the kitchen, so I figured this would be perfect!
- Mega Bloks | We love Mega Books! Noble will sit in the living room and build, take apart, and use these for everything! They occupy him for a long time!
- Wooden Train Set | Noble will actually be receiving a train set for Christmas as well. So many moms I’ve talked to, have recommended a train set to me, their children always love to play with it!
- Schleich Animal Figurines | We have a basket full of these animals! Teaching Noble the sounds each animal makes, is his favorite and keeps him entertained for quite awhile.
- Wooden Balance Board | This has been a very open ended toy for Noble. He loves to drive his cars over it, balance on it, use it as shelter for his animals (Schleich animals), there is so much you can do with this balance board!
- Magna-Tiles | A lot of our friends have these in their homes. The kids love them! You can build so many things with these, and all it is, is magnetic tiles.
I hope this list found you well, and gave you some inspiration!