This simple, soft gingerbread cookie recipe will keep your loved ones coming back for more every time.
Today I’m sharing with you one of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions: The Best Ever Soft Gingerbread Cookies. I have baked these every December since my husband and I have been married (4 years this year Dec. 3rd). He requests them every year, and that’s why I decided to share them with you. They are that good!
Gingerbread became popular in Germany in the 16th century starting with gingerbread houses. Which then turned into the famous Christmas tradition many families around the world have adopted. Now we have the delicious soft gingerbread cookies to add to the Christmas traditions.
Here are a few tips I use to bake the perfect, soft Gingerbread cookies.
- Don’t bake the gingerbread cookies for too long. I always recommend starting at 8mins and working up if needed. Especially, if your oven bakes super warm. Since the cookies are normally rolled out thin, they don’t require a lot of time to bake.
- Also, I recommend rolling out your cookies about an 1/8in to 1/4in, this will bake a nice, soft cookie with a tiny crunch.
- Simply, play Christmas music while baking. Such a simple way to make this holiday tradition fun, and enjoyable for your family.
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. groung ginger
- 1/2 tsp. pink himalayan salt
- 1 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 sticks of salted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsulfered, full-flavor molasses
- Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices in a bowl, stir and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, on medium-high speed beat softened butter and sugar for two minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, molasses, and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Gradually, add in flour mixture until completely incorporated, and dough begins to form.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into two balls and flatten to about an inch thick. Cover in plastic wrap in refrigerate for 2hrs or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out room temp. dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8in to 1/4in thick, cut out with cookie cutters of choice.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
I really hope you all enjoy this recipe on the best soft gingerbread cookies! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @ellinora_hurst with your creations. Also, feel free to share it with your friends and family, I know they will love it!
Pin it for later!
Check out my latest post on a Minimalist Christmas For Kids here.
Thank you guys so much for stopping by! Be sure to join my Cozy Minimalist Community featured below, and stay up to date on all my latest content.
Leave a Reply